In trying to come up with my movie idea, I googled ‘top movies of 2006’ to see what I would get. One of the first few links to come back was Wal-Mart’s Top DVDs of 2006. I almost skipped it. Then I realized that I need to write some tripe and who better to educate me in tripe than the average Wal-Mart consumer! They are my target demographic.
Unfortunately the top 10 list includes 6 TV shows, one Disney movie, one Michael Landon movie(gasp!) and both Pirates of the Caribbean movies. This does not help me.
Rolling Stones top 10 movies of 2006? The Departed, Dreamgirls, Letters from Iwo Jima, Volver, Babel, United 93, The Queen, Borat, Little Miss Sunshine and Prairie Home Companion.
Yeah, no that doesn’t really help me either.
However, the top grossing movies of 2006 is just what I am looking for.
1. “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” $423.3 million
2. “Cars,” $244.1 million
3. “X-Men: The Last Stand,” $234.4 million
4. “The Da Vinci Code,” $217.5 million
5. “Superman Returns,” $200.1 million
6. “Ice Age: The Meltdown,” $195.3 million
7. “Happy Feet,” $176.2 million
8. “Over the Hedge,” $155.0 million
9. “Casino Royale,” $153.4 million
10. “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby,” $148.2 million
Excellent. I’m totally thinking I should combine the premise of some of these for my idea.
Da Vinci Code meets James Bond? Pirates meets Superman? Ricky Bobby meets Wolverine? Surrogate Pimp Meltdown? Ahh, so many options.